** Connecting to the Thomas Dexter Lineage at Thomas Dexter ( 1620- ) **
John Vincent- b. abt 1608 at probably London, England; m(1) Unknown; m(2) Unknown at Sandwich, Barnstable, MA; died Aft. 1663 at Sandwich, Barnstable, MA.
1. Elizabeth b. abt 1628 at England' m. 8 November 1648 Thomas Dexter at Sandwich, Barnstable, MA; d. 19 March 1714 at Barnstable, Barnstable, MA. aged 86 years.
2. Mary b. abt 1633 at England; m. 8 November 1648 Benjamin Hammond; d. 5 August 1706 at Yarmouth, Barnstable, MA, aged 73 years
3. Sarah b. abt 1635 at England; m. July 1653 William Dexter at Yarmouth, Barnstable, MA; d. aft. 1694 at Barnstable, Barnstable, MA
4. Henry b. abt 1637; m. 15 December 1657 Mary Matthews; d. 1722, aged 85 years
John Vincent was of Saugus (Lynn), Essex, MA by 1636 but was granted lands in Duxbury, Plymouth, MA. His Duxbury land abutted the lands of Thomas Burgess and WIlliam Bassett, both early settlers of Sandwich. He made freeman in 1637. In 1638, he was appointed Constable in Sandwich.
By1639 John sold the Duxbury land to Thomas Weybourne, and that same year was appointed Deputy to Plymouth Court from Sandwich. Also in1639, he was appointed to go to Yarmouth to aid inestablishing land rights.He was also listed in the 1643 roster of persons between the age of 16 and 60 who were liable to bear arms. John Vincent was in Sandwich as late as 1658 when he married for the second time but the moved to Yarmouth, Barnstable, MA.
"6 March 1638 -- Mr. John Vincent is elected constible of Sandith. and was sworne to searue in the said office from this Court to the end of the next government, vis, for a yeare and a quarter ."
1. History of Cap Cod: annals of Barnstable COunty, Vol. 2, Frederick Freeman p. 17, 42, 44
2. Directory of the Ancestral Heads of New England Families, 1620-1700, p. 248
3. Cape Cod Library, Vol. II, Sandwich and Bourne. Colony and Town Records, pg 1612
4. Geneal.Dict. by Savage, Sect IV, Chapter 5, Vol 4 pg 373
5. Plym. Recs., pg 1612